News

Colbert Slams Trump Administration After CBS Pulls Talarico Interview

NYT > Business > Media · John Koblin · last updated

Stephen Colbert said he had to drop an interview with James Talarico from his Monday broadcast because of new F.C.C. guidance that targeted political interviews on late-night shows.

Stephen Colbert said on his late-night show on Monday that his network, CBS, barred him from airing an interview with a Democratic candidate for a U.S. Senate race because of new guidance from the Trump administration about equal airtime for political candidates.

It’s the first time that a late-night talk show has changed its programming to meet the demands of that update from the Federal Communications Commission, which has over the last year ramped up its efforts to crack down on the major media companies for perceived bias.

Related stories